Wills and Probate Ireland
Doherty Solicitors provide a specialist Probate Law service that is client-focused and ensures tax efficiency. We offer a full service in the advice on the drafting of Wills. We also deal with the administration of all types of estates and ensure that estates are administered in an efficient and quick manner.
What is a Will
A will is a witnessed document that sets out in writing the deceased’s wishes for his or her possessions, (called his or her ‘estate’), after death.
Reasons for making a will
It is important for you to make a will because if you do not, and die without a will, the law on intestacy decides what happens to your property. A will can ensure that proper arrangements are made for your dependants and that your property is distributed in the way you wish after you die, subject to certain rights of spouses/civil partners and children.
The requirements of a valid will
It is possible to draw up a will yourself or you can hire a solicitor to help you. For a will to be legally valid, the following rules apply:
- The will must be in writing
- You must be over 18 (if you are or have been married you can be under 18)
- And you must be of sound mind
- You must sign or mark the will or acknowledge the signature or mark in the presence of two witnesses.
- Your two witnesses must sign the will in your presence
- The two witnesses cannot be people who will gain from your will and they must be present with you at the same time for their attestation to be valid. The witnesses’ spouses/civil partners also cannot gain from your will.
- Your witnesses must see you sign the will but they do not have to see what is written in it.
- The signature or mark must be at the end of the will.
These are legal requirements and if any of them are not met, the will is not valid.
Contesting a Will:
We specialise in representing those involved in disputes arising from Wills.
Please contact Doherty Solicitors to ensure that you protect the interest of your family and loved ones as fully as possible and for any of the following services:
- Making a Will
- Contesting a Will
- Services for International Lawyers and Non-Residents
- Power of Attorney
- Wards of Courts
- Will Disputes
- Estate Tax Planning